Skip to Content

Jan. 26, 2018 Committee Meeting notes

BSA CORE STRATEGIC MEMBERSHIP MEETING MINUTES (w/ attachments)

Date: January 26, 2018

Location: BSA Space Pearl Street Room

Issued by: Dave Hampton Issue date: Jan. 29, 2018

Attendees: Dave Hampton (DH), Andrew Kollar (AK), Devanshi Purohit (DP), Wendy Machmuller (WM)
Members not in attendance: Brett Farbstein (BF), Gail Kubik (GK)

5:50pm meeting start

1. Events
a. Past:
1) Climate Ready Boston: Rise Up! Workshop, Sept. 2017, (co-sponsored w/ COTE)
2) Community Resilience = National Security, ABX, Nov. 2017
3) ASAP + CORE mixer, ABX, Nov. 2017
4) Community Resilience: The Role of Design, Nov. 2017

b. Discussion of potential future events:
1) Cambridge Climate Change Preparedness & Resilience (CCPR) Plan + MIT Sustainability Plan. Presenters: John Bolduc, City of Cambridge Dept. of Planning; Brian Goldberg, MIT Office of Sustainability
2) Proactive climate adaptation planning, esp. recent (and longer term) post-disaster areas. Ex. 1. Buffalo Bayou, Michael Van Valkenburg Associates Ex. 2 Stoss Landscape. Potentially include 5) below, but more than 2 projects might stretch too thin.
3) Metro Dikelands – Sustainability Education Committee (co-sponsor)
4) Not Necessarily the Netherlands: Learning to Live with Water from the Rest of the World'. Panelists: Adria Boynton, Harvard GSD R+R 2017/Sinclair Kennedy Travel Fellow (Italy) – Boynton is currently traveling, so would likely only be available via Skype/Zoom. AK recalled Boynton presenting her thesis work to CORE in 2015.
5) Jason Hellendrung, TetraTech (formely Sasaki). DH initially contacted him to gauge interest in presenting ‘Shelby County (Memphis, TN) National Disaster Resilience Competition’. Hellendrung preferred expanding presentation to include Living With The Bay in Nassau County for Rebuild by Design, and Harvey recovery work in Houston. DH will pursue.
6) Equtiy and affordable housing: CORE member Gail Kubik had expressed a past interest in learning more about City of Boston CRO’s approach to this topic. DH noted that Dr. Atiya Martin had recently stepped down as CRO.
7) ‘No Building is an Island: People, Buildings, and Passive Survivability’. Panelists: TBD, COTE. No additional discussion, no resolutions.
8) Workshop: ‘Small Cities in the Lead: Adaptation Successes from Coastal New England’. Panelist: Maya Goldwasser, City of Boston. No additional discussion, no resolutions.
9) Julie Wormser. Formerly Boston Harbor Now, currently an independent consultant.
10) AIA/BSA Metro Mayors Conference charrette at AIA National Convention 2018, Boston. DP and DH were on a conference call with BSA, incl. Jay Wickersham. DH offered suggestions centering on CORE co-facilitating a workshop/charette, but no resolution was reached on the event and no follow-up information was sent to call attendees as of today’s date.

c. Next events:
Members elected to move forward in presenting events 1) and 2) above within next 3 months.
See action items below.

d. Advocacy:
Members elected to lend support to 3) Metro Dikelands initiative in terms of signing petition for feasibility study, but felt co-sponsoring a presentation was not warranted.

e. Discussion around future event making useful distinctions around common – and otften misused – terminology: sustainability, mitigation, resilience, adaptation, and transformation.

2. Shaping thought leadership
a. DH encouraged members to think about the different facets of how CORE reaches the public:
1) Presentations
2) Workshops
3) Publications – AK + DH collaborated on ‘Lessons from the California Fire: Climate Change Impacts and Proactive Planning ‘ article for Planetizen/UrbDeZine. Future publications are encouraged.
4) Consulting / advising – such as Boston Green Ribbon Commission/Meister Consulting Group ‘Voluntary Resilience Standards’ review, which resulted from DH responding to email from Susan Green to have CORE contribute review on behalf of the BSA.
b. Discussion touched on issues that CORE should advocate for.
c. DP suggested recording of future events and keeping CORE website up-to-date with summaries of events. Appoint a notetaker for each session to divide the labor?

3. Relationship / partnership development
a. DH encouraged members to be proactive in reaching out to colleagues and allied organizations / disciplines, such as:
1) American Society of Adaptation Professionals (ASAP) – CORE co-sponsored a meet and greet at ABX 2017 with ASAP; are interested in partnering with CORE in bringing continuing education on adaptation to BSA members.
2) American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) – DH is in discussions with Gretchen Schneider Rabinkin, Executive Director, ASLA (formerly BSA) to co-present event 1b2 above.
3) Northeastern University Security and Resilience Studies program – esp. Prof. Daniel Aldrich, a guest of past CORE events.
4) Local schools of architecture & planning – Harvard GSD, MIT, BAC, Wentworth, BU
5) Other BSA committees: Codes, Housing, INFRAtecture, urban planning, Government Affairs, Emerging Professionals

b. AK discussed Conservation Law Foundation and BSA President Jay Wickersham’s working group on codes and encouraged CORE to remain involved. DH asked AK to continue to update members on how CORE could effectively advocate for and influence policy and regulation regarding codes, standards, and regulations.
c. Discussion on relationships with other BSA committees:
1) AK spoke of precedents for interaction between CORE + Codes + Government Affairs committees. “Targeted, strategic, and purposeful”: a good goal for lending advocacy and support and shaping thought leadership – whether in written form or in crafting panels and presentations.
2) WM suggested drafting a matrix of common goals between committees.
3) DH suggested starting with CORE’s Goals and Advovacy Agenda as stated in CORE’s founding document: ‘BSA group proposal_Committee on Resilient Environments.pdf’ (attached) to see which other committees might agree to challenge themselves to address CORE’s objectives in their own committees in 2018-2019.
d. DP suggested partnering with ASLA +universities in future discussion on changing pedagogies and water urbanism.

4. Meeting dates
a. A recurring date and time for meetings and presentations was established: 4th Thursday of the month, 6-8pm.
b. Next meetings: Feb. 22, Mar. 22.

5. Action items Committee member responsible for action item indicated with their intials.
a. Cambridge (CCPR) / MIT Sustainability Plan event (1b1 above): contact John Bolduc and/or Kleinfelder representative (DP), contact Brian Goldberg (DH).
b. MVVA / Stoss Landscape (1b2 above): DH to reach out to MVVA, DP to reach out to Stoss.
c. Jason Hellendrung (1b5 above): DH to continue conversation.
d. AK to contact Gail Kubik about her interest in equity issues and encourage her to be proactive in pursuing future event (see 1b6 above).
e. Meeting dates: DH to contact Susan Green to reserve Pearl Street Room, BSA Space for future meetings.
f. Recording / note-taking at events: All members to search for volunteers to record and take notes at CORE events.
g. All members to take the initiative and be strategic in reaching out to other BSA committees (3a5 above) on potential partnerships and leveraging their existing relationships to meet CORE goals (3 above).
h. AK to keep membership posted on ways to contribute to Codes Committee and advocacy on codes, regulation, etc. (3c1 above).
i. Re-establishing contact with CORE membership: all current members are encouraged to reach back out to their network of contacts and past members to strengthen CORE. Old members to be told about Feb. and March meetings.
j. DH to reopen CORE BSA email database to reach past membership.

7:00pm meeting adjourned.

Attachments: ‘BSA group proposal_Committee on Resilient Environments.pdf’

AttachmentSize
BSA CORE Jan 26 2018 meeting minutes.pdf184.09 KB