SMMA is seeking talented architects with demonstrated K-12 experience to fill two key roles within our thriving K-12 Studio, designing public and private school projects. The roles of Project Architect and Job Captain will have the opportunity to work on some of the area’s largest and most cutting-edge new school commissions to be completed over the next several years. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work on some of the area’s largest and most cutting-edge new school commissions to be completed over the next several years.
Along with drawing from a rich knowledge base and an award winning portfolio of school projects over the past 20+ years, you will also be working within the firms integrated design model — a dynamic and innovative mix of architects, interior designers, landscape architects, site and building systems engineers, design technologists, researchers, planners, and doers.
- Identify opportunities and develop alternative concepts to solve complex design problems
- Assist project team to research and specify materials, products, and systems working with our internal Specifications Writer and project consultants
- Collaborate with internal building science specialists and project consultants on the development of building envelope details
- Collaborate with internal and consultant engineers to integrate site, structure, and MEP systems
- Ensure adherence to the design intent during the CA phase
- Serve as a technical resource across all project teams
- Project Architects conduct peer quality control review of other projects at major project milestones
- Professional degree; Master’s degree preferred
- 8-20 years’ experience, some dedicated to K-12 projects
- Architectural licensure
- LEED and other sustainable accreditations a plus
- Fluency with a BIM-centered workflow and digital tools
- Excellence in written, visual, and verbal communication
- High emotional intelligence
- Flexible, proactive, and curious
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.