SMMA seeks an experienced Construction Specification Writer to join our SMMA’s Architecture team. Our firm applies an integrated practice perspective to incorporate the complexity of today’s building materials and assemblies in our projects.
We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth. Working alongside a project manager and project architect, the specifier will connect with the design team, provide new ideas, and share knowledge that will advance each project and the firm’s mission.
This role is to support the firm's commitment to the quality of design and documentation. SMMA is considering in-person, hybrid, and remote possibilities for this role.
- Write the architectural technical specifications, for each phase of the project, based on decisions made and information furnished by the Project Manager and Project Architect.
- Coordinate the specifications among our internal disciplines and consultant's specifications, with respect to format, and language.
- Coordinate and write Uniformat specifications for schematic design.
- Coordination of the Project Manual for construction documents from firm’s Master specifications and MasterSpec, using MasterFormat templates.
- Coordinate contracting, bidding, and front-end documents for review by clients.
- Undertake project research as agreed upon with Project Architect. Review drawings for coordination with specifications.
- Review specifications prepared by project engineers and by consultants for coordination with the Project Manual.
- Prepare and coordinate addenda. Assist in responding to RFI's. Assist in evaluating submittals and requests for substitutions. Assist in interpreting the Contract Specifications.
- Assist Specifications Group Leader in maintaining specification masters appropriate to different project types and project delivery types. Assist in educating staff in coordination and use of specifications.
- Conduct product research to maintain the firm's Master Specification. Research available guide specifications, spec production software, and manufacturers’ guide specifications.
- Understanding of MasterSpec and MasterFormat specification systems.
- Understanding of AIA contracts, forms, and documents.
- CSI-Certification: CDT, CCS, CCCA, CCPR, or other involvement in the Construction Specifications Institute.
- Architectural, construction, or engineering education, and more than 5 years’ experience working on projects in architectural, contracting, product representative, or engineering capacity.
- Excellent written, graphic, and verbal communication skills
- Strong word processing skills and Internet search and retrieval skills.
Registered Architect or Registered Engineer
Background in USGBC/LEED or other sustainability rubric systems.
Background in Revit or other BIM modeling software.
Background in SpecsIntact or other specifications software.
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.