SMMA is seeking an experienced Project Manager, Architect, or Engineer to join SMMA’s Project Management department. We are an integrated design firm that unites a dynamic mix of architects, engineers, technologists, researchers, and industry experts driven to provide responsible, well-crafted, and venturesome design solutions to clients in the Boston area and beyond. United by a common purpose, we thrive on cross-discipline collaboration and welcome good ideas from wherever they come. We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth.
Essential for this role is a solid understanding of the study, design, and construction process. The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills; strong team and leadership abilities; and project planning acumen. As the primary point of contact, the Project Manager will continuously foster collaboration between the design team and the client.
This role will be primarily focused on Science and Technology sector projects, ranging from life science labs to semiconductor clean-rooms to data centers. While we do not expect the Project Manager to be an expert in the design of these facilities, the ideal candidate will be knowledgeable of the more complex architecture and engineering systems required for such projects.
- Creating proposals for project opportunities
- Presenting project information to clients and stakeholders
- Providing clear direction for internal design team members and external consultants
- Managing internal schedule, budget, and scope
- Analyzing technical challenges, reviewing construction methods, and vetting budget pricing for best construction options
- Serving as the point of contact for the duration of a project
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Engineering or Construction Management
- Demonstrated successful experience working with design teams
- Experience within the science and technology sector
- Experience with the A/E/C industry
- Professional registration
- Willingness and ability to travel to project sites and clients outside of the greater Boston area
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.