SMMA has an exciting opportunity available for laboratory-focused architect to join SMMA’s Architecture Team within the Science & Technology Studio. Rooted in research, our integrated practice applies its unique team perspective to solve today’s science and technology complexities. SMMA has planned and designed a variety of research, manufacturing, clean, engineering, and specialized spaces, of which we ensure the highest possible quality.
We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth. Working alongside a project manager, the architect will connect with the client, provide new ideas, and share knowledge that will advance each project and the firm’s mission.
- Communicate and keep the other design team members engaged; able to collaborate and coordinate with MEP teammates is especially important.
- Develop and prepare design and construction documentation for Life Science and Technology projects – In addition to the creation of documentation of exterior and interior architecture to support these projects, particular focus will be spent on the development of laboratory layouts and planning, laboratory equipment planning, laboratory ceiling design, associated laboratory detailing, and casework /millwork design.
- Research products and systems for all aspects of the project as required.
- Participate in the construction administration of projects.
- Contribute to studio-based and office-wide activities, initiatives, and learning programs.
- Flexible, proactive, and optimistic mindset.
- A precise and detail-oriented approach to breaking down complicated tasks and challenges.
- Excellent written, graphic, and verbal communication skills.
- Collaborative and team conscious. Capable of building relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Professional degree / Master’s degree in Architecture.
- 5+ years of professional experience. Preferred experience working on the technical and design aspects of Life Science and Technology projects. Healthcare and other related experience will be considered.
- Architectural licensure or in active pursuit thereof.
- Proven ability to leverage digital tools to ideate quickly and often during the design process and committed to a BIM-centric workflow (Revit). 3D conceptual modeling and visualization is a plus. Experience with MS Teams collaboration preferred.
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
Digital portfolio must be submitted with the application for consideration. Please provide a portfolio link or combine your resume and portfolio on one document.
SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.