SMMA seeks an experienced Project Manager to join SMMA's Federal Government Studio. We pride ourselves on designing a range of attractive, technologically-advanced, and secure facilities to support those who defend our nation and are dedicated to research and innovation. To name a few, our Federal Government Studio has designed federal reserve centers and campuses, workplaces, libraries, and complex laboratories, geared towards testing squad and soldier performance, biomechanics, and virtual reality systems.
Essential for this role is a solid understanding of study, design, and construction processes. The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal and oral, written communication skills, strong team and client leadership abilities, and project planning acumen, contributing to the Institutional Practice Group's business development efforts.
- Create proposals for project opportunities.
- Present project information to clients, boards, and community stakeholders
- Provide clear direction for internal design team members and external consultants.
- Manage internal schedule, budget, and scope.
- Analyze technical challenges, review construction methods, and vet budget pricing for best construction options.
- Serve as the point of contact for the duration of a project.
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Engineering, or Construction Management with experience working in the industry.
- 5+ years of experience successfully managing design projects through multiple phases.
- Registered Architect or Professional Engineer, or in active pursuit and experience servicing government-sector clients, are preferred.
- Willingness and ability to travel to project sites and clients outside of the Greater Boston Area
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area's most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five market focus studios: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm's studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
We are an integrated design firm that unites a dynamic mix of architects, engineers, technologists, researchers, and industry experts driven to provide responsible, well-crafted, and venturesome design solutions to clients in the Boston area and beyond. United by a common purpose, we thrive on cross-discipline collaboration and welcome good ideas from wherever they come. We offer a fast-paced environment that promotes continuous improvement and creative growth.
SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.