SMMA is looking to hire a passionate interior designer committed to work on K12 educational projects. SMMA is recognized as a leader in educational design most recently winning the Association for Learning Environments Northeast’s highest award for planning and design, the “Ed Kirkbride Award,” two years in a row, and four times overall.
SMMA is a multi-disciplined design firm employing architects, interior designers, engineers, technologists, researchers, and industry experts. SMMA provides clients with cross-discipline collaboration and well-crafted design solutions.
SMMA offers a creative team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and professional growth. Employees will be working alongside project leadership as a valued member of a project team. The designers role will share knowledge and design ideas, while advancing their own professional career.
- Collaborate on all phases of work, including programming client needs, conceptual design, schematic design, and design development, construction documentation and construction administration.
- Assist with the development of design concepts during all phases of the project.
- Ability to collaborate with consultants, engineers, interior designers and the architectural team.
- Prepare plans, elevations, interior details, reflected ceiling plans, millwork design, furniture layouts, finish plans, color plans and schedules.
- Provide renderings for client and public presentations.
- Assist in the construction administration phase of projects and review of submittals, finish samples, sketches, shop drawings.
- Research manufacturers for finish materials, furniture and equipment.
- Contribute to office activities, initiatives, and learning programs.
- Ability to work with SMMA’s specifications department and product selection.
- Bachelor's degree in Interior Design
- NCIDQ Certified Designer (or pending)
- 3-10 years of related experience as an interior designer
- MSBA experience preferred
- Knowledge of all aspects of the design process, workplace strategy, design & documentation, implementation and FF&E
- Outstanding rendering and graphic presentation skills and communicate design ideas quickly
- Knowledge of building and life safety code requirements
- Must have professional experience with Revit
- Computer skills: Highly proficient at Revit. Knowledge of Adobe Suite, SketchUp, Bluebeam and Enscape required.
- Excellent written + verbal communication skills
- Collaborative and team-conscious
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
Portfolio link or PDF required for consideration.
Please note: SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.