SMMA is seeking an experienced Educational Facilities Planner (EFP) to join our Architecture team. Candidates must have strong communication and interpersonal skills, knowledge of the history of school design and the evolution of Next Generation teaching and learning, and a passion for K-12 school planning and design.
We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth. SMMA’s EFPs are involved throughout the life of all planning, design, and construction of school projects and will participate in the following roles and responsibilities.
- Master Planning of school districts
- Educational Visioning
- Community Engagement
- Programming and Design of PreK-12 Schools
- Assessment of existing schools for Educational Facilities Effectiveness
- Registered architect preferred
- 10 years in school design preferred
- Graduate of A4LE’s Advanced Academy program would be seen as a positive
- Accredited Learning Environment Planner (ALEP) designation would be seen as a positive
- Knowledge of K-12 furnishings and equipment (F&E) and teaching and learning technology
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
- Employee-owned firm with Employee Stock Ownership Program
- Hybrid work-from-home policy
- Competitive benefits including paid time-off, company-funded MA Paid Family and Medical Leave, company-paid dental plan, company-paid life insurance, and 401(K) matching
- Employee Assistance Program (includes confidential emotional support, legal guidance, and financial resources)
- Mentor/protégé program
- Educational reimbursement
- Licensure and membership reimbursement
- “Lunch and Learns” with internal and external speakers
SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.