SMMA is seeking a talented project Design Architect to join our practice in Cambridge. This position offers the opportunity to be responsible for initial project design visioning, programming, and design of space, form, and expression. Along with the project principal and team, you will be establishing the design narrative in pursuit of projects which are responsible, well-crafted, venturesome, and beautiful.
- Lead project design architect
- Work in close collaboration with Project Principal on all aspects of design and its development
- Conceptualize building designs from both functional and aesthetic perspective in concert with client and user requirements, site specifics, zoning requirements, and project budget
- Create graphic presentations to convey design thinking
- Participate in client meetings and design presentations
- Participate in project team coordination with focus on items affecting design outcome
- Work closely with site designers/landscape architects, interior designers, graphic designers, and other consultants on design concepts and development
- Contribute design advice and oversight throughout subsequent project phases
- Participate in project analysis and conceptual design activity in pursuit of new projects
- Design talent
- Currently in role as project designer
- 5 to 9 years professional experience (minimum 5 years as project designer)
- B.Arch or M.Arch degree
- Licensed Architect or in active pursuit thereof
- Skill with digital tools for BIM, 3D modeling, rendering, and presentation graphics:
- SketchUp and Revit mastery required
- Adobe Creative Suite / PhotoShop proficiency required
- Rhino and Grasshopper proficiency desired
- Lumion and Enscape proficiency desired
- 3dStudio Max and Vray experience a plus
- Ability to convey design concept through diagrams, sketches, and visualization tools
- Ability to convey design intent through verbal presentation
- Sustainable / environmental / wellness experience
- Knowledge of building code requirements
- Knowledge of building systems: envelope, structural, and MEP systems
- Understanding of zoning code and permitting requirements
Portfolio (sample) link or PDF required for consideration.
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
- Employee-owned firm with Employee Stock Ownership Program
- Hybrid work-from-home policy
- Competitive benefits including paid time-off, company-funded MA Paid Family and Medical Leave, company-paid dental plan, company-paid life insurance, and 401(K) matching
- Employee Assistance Program (includes confidential emotional support, legal guidance, and financial resources)
- Mentor/protégé program
- Educational reimbursement
- Licensure and membership reimbursement
- “Lunch and Learns” with internal and external speakers
A Digital portfolio must be submitted for consideration. Please combine the resume and portfolio on one document or provide a portfolio link.
SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.