Red Barn believes in happy.
Happy clients start with a clear design process. The results are designs that reflect our clients’ values and will positively impact their day-to-day life. We’re not here to exercise our egos; we’re here to understand each household’s unique needs and lifestyle. That translates into thoughtful spaces that elevate life through improved functionality, more enjoyment, and beautiful details.
Happy staff starts with a work environment that respects you as a person and the contributions you make. It’s creating space for everyone’s opinions and helping to forge bonds between team members that extend out of the office and into the community. It’s a shared commitment to working hard, solving problems, and celebrating our collective successes.
We are looking for long term partners to join us in building Red Barn. We run on a modified 4-day work week, and offer a benefits package that includes paid vacation, continuing education reimbursements, employee profit sharing plan and a work-sponsored retirement plan with employer match. This position is based in beautiful coastal Essex, Massachusetts. No remote inquiries, please. Exceptional design happens when everyone is in the same room.
The successful candidate has experience providing Project Architect-level leadership and has aspirations to grow with Red Barn, positively impact the communities in which we work, and be a leader within the studio. We are seeking a licensed architect with 7-10 years of experience.
This position requires a thorough understanding of Red Barn Architecture – its services and culture. The Project Architect works directly with the Principals to serve as the primary design lead for the studio. As a Project Architect you will be responsible for all aspects of project design, planning and execution, including leading the client and project team through complete architectural services from preliminary design through construction administration. The Project Architect reports directly to the Principals.
The Project Architect responsibilities include the ability to independently advance project design, develop technical detailing, lead the preparation of project documentation and consultant coordination, manage permitting and entitlement processes, and construction administration. Project management skills such as oversight of fee allocation, project schedule, workflow, deadlines, deliverables, and effective client communication will also lead to success in the role.
You will be expected to work on many types of architectural projects. Our work ranges from renovations and additions, to new, ground-up buildings. You will meet directly with clients, and lead projects from start to finish, so you should have excellent abilities to articulate ideas and organize complex projects.
RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS
PROJECT MANAGEMENT (75%)
- Lead design assignments and a team of designers and consultants from initial programing and design through production of well-detailed and coordinated construction documents.
- Prepare architectural plans, diagrams, and data visualization as a project requires.
- Delegate work to design team and draft a minimum of 50% of time.
- Work closely with clients, managing relationships and day-to-day individual project needs.
- Carry out complete construction administration processes and communications.
- Employ a quality control process for milestone submissions.
- Assist in writing specifications.
STUDIO MANAGEMENT (25%)
- Suggest ways to improve systems and procedures that will create better architectural services.
- The project architect leads coordination with external consultants and filings within jurisdictions.
- Support principals on projects and the ongoing management of the practice.
- Define and implement the necessary resources to ensure the design and documentation process flows smoothly.
- Set, monitor, and maintain project budgets, work plans, and schedules through all phases of the design process.
- Participate in business development and marketing activities including Potential New Client inquiries, interviews, and networking.
- Participate in the preparation of proposals and negotiation of contracts and fees.
- Mentoring junior designers and sharing your knowledge is an important part of this role.
- With administrative support of Office Manager, implements Continuing Education schedule (internal presentations, vendor Lunch and Learns, and AIA credit programs).
- Be active in the community (find leadership opportunities as a volunteer, as a board member, etc.)
The ideally qualified candidate possesses…
- Revit experience a must.
- an entrepreneurial spirit, self-motivation and a strong desire to learn.
- ability to organize, complete multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- be highly motivated and self-directed.
- strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- have a positive and optimistic attitude.
- ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Have excellent conceptual thinking and strong technical skills.