SMMA is currently seeking a Sustainable Design Analyst to join our design practice, working with SMMA’s Sustainability and Energy Efficiency Group. The Group's mission is to promote the implementation and coordination of sustainable design practices across our firm’s design disciplines. We inspire teams to commit to advanced sustainability by promoting a culture of curiosity, thought leadership, and continuous improvement We believe that intentionally pursuing deep sustainable design will create a ripple effect through our culture and practices, our design approach and delivery—ultimately resulting in change within the built environment.
This position requires an individual who demonstrates a passion for sustainability in the built environment, advanced energy efficiency, and climate resiliency. You must be able to work in a team environment while working independently on special projects. You will work with our team of sustainability experts, conducting general sustainable design and building systems’ optimization, energy and carbon analysis, post-occupancy evaluation data analysis, and LEED, Fitwel and/or WELL project coordination including documentation support using computational design tools such as E-Quest, Climate Studio, Tally, Therm and/or WUFI. You will be encouraged to promote integrative design practices, resilient design, advanced energy efficiency knowledge within the firm, and thought leadership in the industry.
Candidates will be evaluated based on their previous work experience, personal and professional references, and interviews.
- Provide coordination and management of LEED, Fitwel, and/or WELL certification documentation
- Support the development of processes and tools to streamline energy and carbon analysis, as well as LEED and WELL documentation across the firm’s integrated A&E design disciplines
- Provide/complete LEED/WELL documentation using computational design tools such as E-Quest, Tally, Climate Studio, Therm, and/or WUFI
- Provide support to project teams for advanced building performance, energy and carbon analysis, sustainable design methodologies and emerging technologies
- Provide support in further developing and coordinating resilient design, including strategies such as Passive House, as well as health and wellness design practices within the firm
- Participate in SMMA’s in-house sustainable design initiatives and research projects
- Bachelor’s degree (BS) in Engineering and/or Architecture
- Minimum of two years working in an Architecture/Engineering firm
- LEED GA/AP and/or WELL AP
- E-Quest energy modeling knowledge
- Thermal enclosure performance/building science knowledge a plus
- Passive House knowledge and/or PHI/PHIUS certification a plus
- Daylight modeling experience a plus
- Computational design skills in WUFI, Therm, Rhino, Dynamo, and/or Grasshopper a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
About the Firm
SMMA is one of New England’s most unique design firms due to our composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since our incorporation in 1955, we offer an integrated, multidisciplinary environment driven by collaboration between architects, interior designers, engineers, technologists, researchers, and industry experts. We focus on building lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
As an employee-owned firm, we believe that good ideas are welcome from anywhere. Our work straddles seven markets—K-12, Higher Education, Corporate, Commercial, Life Science, Federal Government, and Advanced Technology—with the opportunity to work across a wide range of projects and specialisms. We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth.
SMMA was founded by MIT and Rensselaer alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, we remain dedicated to this flexible, integrated approach. We are guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence, sustainability, and social responsibility.
- Employee-owned firm with Employee Stock Ownership Program
- Hybrid work-from-home policy
- Competitive benefits including paid time-off, company-funded MA Paid Family and Medical Leave, company-paid dental plan, company-paid life insurance, and 401(K) matching
- Employee Assistance Program (includes confidential emotional support, legal guidance, and financial resources)
- Mentor/protégé program
- Educational reimbursement
- Licensure and membership reimbursement
- “Lunch and Learns” with internal and external speakers