SMMA is seeking an experienced Project Architect at our Cambridge and/or Providence Offices to lead the design of a variety of project typologies within our growing Government Studio. SMMA is an integrated design firm that unites a dynamic mix of architects, interior designers, engineers, design technologists, researchers, and industry experts, driven to provide responsible, well-crafted, venturesome, and beautiful design solutions to clients.
SMMA is privileged to have been selected to provide design services to multiple Department of Defense agencies. Our government team supports the growth and development of the studio and delivers quality facilities that integrate high-level design, functionality and sustainability. A Project Architect in the Government Studio would join a team of specialists experienced in solving the unique challenges of government clients and navigating the special requirements, permitting, and energy needs often inherent to these projects. We are excited by the opportunities associated with designing these projects, and we are proud to partner with the dedicated professionals who serve our nation.
SMMA promotes a fast-paced, team-oriented, and fun environment that fosters intellectual and creative growth. The candidate will be encouraged to provide new ideas and share knowledge and design research that will advance the firm’s mission and his/her professional career.
- Taking an active role in all project phases, from schematic design through construction administration,
- Ability to work independently, lead project teams, and partner with knowledge experts to seek out design opportunities and apply best practices,
- Developing the documents to reinforce the design intent while balancing cost, code, constructability constraints, and client expectations, and
- Communicating and keeping other project team members engaged as the project team leader.
- Bachelor of Architecture degree; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum 10 years’ professional experience; licensure or in active pursuit thereof
- Understanding and working knowledge of digital tools to serve the design process (for BIM, 3D modeling, design visualization, team management, client correspondence)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills coupled with design thinking
- High level of interest in conceptual, technical, and managerial aspects of the building design process
- Familiarity with the development of Contract Documents for Public Bid
- Familiarity with Government Criteria, including Unified Facilities Criteria and other applicable Military Standards
Digital portfolio must be submitted with the application for consideration.
Please note: SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.