SMMA is currently seeking several Life Science and Technology focused Mid-Level Architects with 5-15 years of experience to join our integrated practice - a dynamic mix of architects, interior designers, landscape architects, site and building systems engineers, design technologists, researchers, and planners.
SMMA provides design services for a variety of markets, organized into five studios: Corporate and Commercial, Science and Technology, K-12, Higher Education, and Federal Government. Each studio is matched with in-house engineering partners dedicated to the same mission. The firm maintains a multidisciplinary work model and remains committed to enhancing opportunities by capitalizing on an agile and iterative integrated design workflow. As architects and engineers, this studio structure allows professionals to dive deeply into dedicated market-based knowledge and micro-mentorship, while simultaneously participating in cross-training between studios.
- Communicate and keep the other project team members engaged; being able to communicate and engage with your MEP team-mates is especially important for any Life Science and Technology project
- Collaborate on all phases of Life Science and Technology work, including: programming client needs, technical development, conceptual design, schematic design, design development, construction documentation, and construction administration
- Assist and fully participate in the planning and conceptual design of the Life Science and Technology laboratories as well as all the associated support, office, and public collaboration space associated with that design
- Develop and prepare both design and construction documentation for Life Science and Technology projects — In addition to the creation of documentation of exterior and interior architecture to support these projects, particular focus will be spent on the development of laboratory layouts and planning, laboratory equipment planning, laboratory ceiling design, associated laboratory detailing, casework and millwork design, and the various types of construction documentation necessary to support these specialty spaces
- Participate in the construction administration of projects and review and coordination of all submittals, and the observation of the construction process; this will include not only the review of various lab casework, millwork, equipment, finish, and lab equipment shop drawings and samples but the coordination of the MEP team’s reviews with the overall design
- Contribute to office activities, initiatives, and learning programs
- Flexible, proactive, and optimistic
- A precise and detail-oriented approach to breaking down complicated tasks and challenges
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Collaborative and team-conscious
- Capable of building relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- (Preferred) experience working on the technical and design aspects of Life Science and Technology projects
- Knowledge of all aspects of the design process, workplace strategy, design & documentation, implementation, and FF&E
- Knowledge of building and life safety code requirements
- Bachelor's / Professional degree / Master’s degree in Architecture
- 5-15 years of professional experience; licensure or in active pursuit thereof
- Ability to ideate quickly through utilizing computational design tools; possess a mastery of digital tools to serve the design process through BIM, 3D modeling, design visualization, team management, and client/contractor communication
Digital portfolio must be submitted with the application for consideration.
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.