Free and open to the public
Missions Accomplished: Ongoing Restoration Work at the Alamo and 3 Mission Churches in San Antonio
Between 1720 and 1780 the Spanish established five Franciscan Missions three miles apart, along the San Antonio River in Texas. Each mission compound included a large stone church, a stone walled compound, a stone granary and masonry residences for the priests and Native American converts. Four of the five missions are currently part of the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park and the fifth -- the Alamo -- is owned by the State of Texas. Last year, all five Missions were collectively designated a World Heritage Site -- the 23rd WHS in the United States. On April 14th, the Historic Resources Committee features longtime member and cogent commentator Ivan Myjer, owner of Building and Monument Conservation, to speak about assessment and conservation of the carved stonework at Missions San Jose and Concepcion, as well as his ongoing work at the Alamo.
For those who qualify, 1.5 LUs/HSW are available
To learn more about the Historic Resources Committee, visit architects.org/committees/historic-resources-committee