SMMA is currently seeking several Mid-Level Architects (5-15 years) to join our integrated practice – a dynamic mix of architects, interior designers, landscape architects, site and building systems engineers, design technologists, researchers, and planners.
SMMA provides design services for a variety of markets, organized into five studios: Corporate and Commercial, Science and Technology, K-12, Higher Education, and Federal Government. Each studio is matched with in-house engineering partners dedicated to the same mission. The firm maintains a multidisciplinary work model and remains committed to enhancing opportunities by capitalizing on an agile and iterative integrated design workflow. As architects and engineers, this studio structure allows professionals to dive deeply into dedicated market-based knowledge and micro-mentorship, while simultaneously participating in cross-training between studios.
The Mid-Level Architects are expected to have gained an understanding of their unique perspective and contributions relating to conceptual design, technical knowledge of code, constructability, building science, and design team management strengths. Under the supervision of the Project Lead Architect, there are rich opportunities to explore and "own" the complexities of the design and construction process and to mentor junior staff within a team environment. As competence and personal interest becomes evident, leading your own small-to-mid-size projects is encouraged.
- Communicate and keep other project team members engaged while coordinating systems, structure, and program functions
- Develop designs to reinforce the design intent while balancing cost, code, constructability constraints, and client expectations
- Take an active role in all project phases, from schematic design through construction administration
- Be expected to work as part of project teams, as well as independently, and partner with knowledge experts to seek out design opportunities and apply best practices
- Bachelor's or Professional degree; Master’s degree preferred
- 5-15 years professional experience; licensure or in active pursuit thereof
- Possess a mastery of digital tools to serve the design process through BIM, 3D modeling, design visualization, team management, and client / contractor communication
- Capable of building relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Committed to excellence of written, visual, and verbal communication skills
- Flexible, proactive and optimistic
Digital portfolio must be submitted with the application for consideration.
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.