SMMA has an exciting opportunity for an Interior Designer to work on stimulating projects at our Cambridge office. We are an integrated design firm that unites a dynamic mix of architects, interior designers, engineers, technologists, researchers, and industry experts driven to provide responsible, well-crafted, venturesome, and beautiful design solutions to clients in the Boston area and beyond. United by a common purpose, we thrive on cross-discipline collaboration and welcome good ideas from wherever they come.
We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth. Working alongside a project leader, the candidates will be expected to provide new ideas and share knowledge that will advance each project, the firm’s mission, and their professional careers.
- Collaborate on all phases of work, including programming client needs, conceptual design, schematic design, and design development, construction documentation and construction administration.
- Ability to ideate quickly through utilizing computational design tools
- Assist with the development of detailed design concepts
- Prepare design plans, elevations and details, reflected ceiling plans, millwork design, furniture layouts, finish plans, color plans and schedules
- Prepare contract documents, including design plans, elevations and details, furniture layouts, ergonomic dimensions, finish plans, color plans, finish schedules and ceiling plans
- Assist in the construction administration of projects and review of submittals, finish samples, shop drawings when necessary
- Research manufacturers for furniture system and finish materials
- Contribute to office activities, initiatives, and learning programs
- Bachelor's degree in Interior Design
- NCIDQ Certified Designer preferred
- 2-7 years of related experience as an interior designer
- Corporate commercial experience preferred
- Knowledge of all aspects of the design process, workplace strategy, design & documentation, implementation and FF&E
- Outstanding graphic presentation skills and communicate design ideas quickly
- Knowledge of building and life safety code requirements
- Must have professional experience with Revit
- Computer skills: Knowledge of Adobe Suite, SketchUp and rendering proficiency required
- Excellent written + verbal communication skills
- Collaborative and team-conscious
Portfolio link or PDF required for consideration.
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.