SMMA’s Project Management Group is seeking an experienced Owner’s Project Manager for K-12 school projects. Our integrated firm unites a dynamic mix of project managers, architects, engineers, technologists, researchers, and industry experts. We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth.
Essential for this role is a solid understanding of the management tasks and responsibilities of an Owner’s Project Manager during the study, design, and construction phases to deliver significant projects on time and on budget. The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, exceptional project planning acumen and problem-solving, strong team and leadership abilities, and a deep understanding of the MSBA’s design and construction processes.
The role involves managing project teams of architects, engineers, contractors, commissioning agents, testing labs, and other vendors including the pre-qualification process for CMs, GCs and subcontractors. The successful candidate will also evaluate and report on scope, schedule, and budget status throughout the project, and review all project invoices.
The Owner’s Project Manager will participate in business development opportunities, including proposal development and interviewing.
- Experience with K-12 public school projects
- Demonstrated successful experience as an Owner’s Project Manager
- Experience with the MSBA
- 8-10 years of related experience managing projects
- Professional registration preferred
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
- Employee-owned firm with Employee Stock Ownership Program
- Hybrid work-from-home policy
- Competitive benefits including paid time-off, company-paid dental plan, company-paid life insurance, and 401(K) matching
- Employee Assistance Program (includes confidential emotional support, legal guidance, and financial resources)
- Mentor/protégé program
- Educational reimbursement
- Licensure and membership reimbursement
- “Lunch and Learns” with internal and external speakers
SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.