SMMA is currently seeking several Mid-Level Architects (5-15 years) to join our integrated practice - a dynamic mix of architects, interior designers, landscape architects, site and building systems engineers, design technologists, researchers, and planners. With all this diverse expertise packed within a firm of only 170 professionals, it makes us the "largest small firm or smallest large firm" you'll ever see!
SMMA in a nutshell:
We provide design services for a variety of markets which we've organized into six studios, including: Corporate / Commercial, Life Science, Technology, K-12, Higher Education, and Federal Government. Each studio is matched with in-house engineering partners dedicated to the same mission. We believe in our multi-disciplinary work model and remain committed to enhancing opportunities by capitalizing on an agile and iterative integrated design workflow. As architects and engineers, this studio structure allows us to dive deeply into dedicated market-based knowledge and micro-mentorship, while simultaneously participating in "cross-training" between studios to make sure we are all learning from each other firm-wide. Our market diversity certainly adds to our vibrant culture and has allowed SMMA to thrive in good and bad economies. Currently, we are experiencing incredible growth in many of our studios… That’s where you come in!
Read about SMMA’s recent Friendly Firm Award.
Why is this role important for SMMA’s work?
We expect Mid-Level Architects to have gained an understanding of their unique perspective and contributions relating to conceptual design, technical knowledge of code, constructability, and building science, and design team management strengths. We understand also that we are each in a state of learning and therefore have a healthy balance of seasoned professionals within the firm to support growth. Each individual's strengths, prior experience, and interest will determine the best fit for our current studio openings. Under the supervision of the Project Lead Architect, there are rich opportunities to explore and "own" the complexities of the design and construction process and to mentor junior staff within a team environment. As competence and personal interest becomes evident, leading your own small-to-mid-size projects is encouraged.
What’s in it for you?
SMMA is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you help to define design opportunities and solve complex challenges for our clients, our organization, and our industry working alongside thoughtful individuals from many disciplines who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We nurture professional growth in many ways including a volunteer Mentor-Protégé program that pairs junior professionals with senior leadership to share knowledge and build deeper relationships. We have ARE and LEED study groups, provide research opportunities through our "IQ Program", and many external professional development opportunities. We strive to promote a fast-paced, team-oriented, and fun culture that fosters relationships and creative growth and are proud to have been named a 2018 Emerging Professional Friendly Firm by AIA New England.
Once here you will:
- Communicate and keep other project team members engaged while coordinating systems, structure, and program functions
- Develop the design to reinforce the design intent while balancing cost, code, constructability constraints, and client expectations
- Take an active role in all project phases, from schematic design through construction administration
- Be expected to work as part of project teams, as well as independently, and partner with knowledge experts to seek out design opportunities and apply best practices
Relevant experience and mindset:
- Bachelor's or Professional degree; Master’s degree preferred
- 5-15 years professional experience; licensure or in active pursuit thereof
- Possess a mastery of digital tools to serve the design process through BIM, 3D modeling, design visualization, team management, and client / contractor communication
- Capable of building relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Committed to excellence of written, visual, and verbal communication skills
- Flexible, proactive and optimistic
Digital portfolio must be submitted with the application for consideration.
Please note: SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.