NBBJ is a design and architecture firm, led by ideas and a culture of collaboration. With offices around the globe, the diverse perspectives of your future colleagues and clients will inspire and challenge you to be extraordinary. Innovation and creativity are at the heart of our work: creating spaces and experiences that better connect people to each other as they live, learn, and work in their communities. We partner with pioneers like Amazon, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and Massachusetts General Hospital as we create solutions for tomorrow guided by our vision: we design for life. Are you interested in designing what’s next? Join us
The role at a glance:
This is an excellent opportunity for you to join NBBJ Boston as a Senior Project Manager. This is an opportunity to join a fully integrated design studio where Architects work with Interior Designers, Lab Planners and Workplace Specialists from concept design through construction. The skill and ability to work with and integrate into a diverse team of designers would serve the candidate well in our highly collaborative environment. In this role, you will effectively lead project teams in the design and planning of complex Laboratory projects of various scales. This includes:
- Developer projects in commercial sector (Shell and core and fit out)
- Research labs for hospitals
- Research labs for academic institutions (including teaching labs)
- Smaller scale fit-outs of existing spaces
- Corporate fit out of lab spaces for life science companies
In your new role, you will:
- Manage team complexity – plans, organizes, and supervises the work of a design team of approximately 5 to 25+ individuals
- Develop and execute a management work plan for the overall project(s)
- Build and maintain day-to-day trusting working relationship with client(s) and consultants
- Responsible for accuracy and applicability of documents for entire project(s)
- Lead decision making process with fiscal accountability and responsibility
- Responsible for all correspondence, reports, documentation, and general administration for the overall project(s)
- Negotiate and draft/write contracts
- Solve problems creatively with consultants
- Responsible for execution of project within the boundaries of the design intent
- Apply sound and diversified knowledge of architectural principles for all aspects of the project(s)
- Assist with business development and collaborate with other studios, as needed
- Assist with proposal preparation and participates in client presentations/interviews
- Attend industry events and help with marketing for the firm
- Have knowledge of latest trends in Lab planning
- Work with Lab planning consultants
- Develop and leverage existing client relationship for the purposes of winning work.
- Willingness and ability to mentor staff, help with career development of junior staff
What you will need to succeed:
- 20 + years of professional experience in Architecture
- Bachelor's degree; B Arch or M Arch
- Architectural licensure preferred; LEED Accreditation a plus
- Must have a proven track record as a Project Manager with large, complex projects involving work that ranges from Pre-design through Construction Administration, including contract negotiation, work plan development and the ability to work with a variety of project delivery methodologies
- Excellent leadership, verbal and communication skills; effective client relationship skills and talent for leading and working with diverse teams of designers
- Experience with Lean/Collaborative Team project management methodologies desired
- Champion for integrating sustainability and resiliency features into every project
- Proficient in Revit and managing a project team with a shared BIM model desired
- Proficient in Excel
- Proficient in Project Management software (i.e. Deltek Vision) desired
- Ability to lead and manage multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Ability to work in a collaborative, design-focused open environment
- Ability to travel as the project(s) requires
Why choose NBBJ?
We believe that all NBBJ employees should love their work. This means not only loving what you do but having pride in your workplace. We strive to be that irresistible place to work by enhancing your employee experience with customized programs and comprehensive benefits. In addition to 100% covered employee healthcare costs and 401k contributions, we offer unique professional development opportunities, volunteer opportunities and access to leading technology and resources to further help you love your work and advance your career.
- NBBJ has been named three times by Fast Company as one of the most innovative architecture firms.
- Founded in 1943, our first office opened over 75 years ago in Seattle, Washington. We now have over 10 office locations around the globe.
- We are a transdisciplinary, cross-practice focused firm with a deep portfolio of Civic & Cultural, Commercial, Corporate, Healthcare, Higher Education, Science and Technology, Sports, and Urban Environment projects. We also have several areas of service expertise including: Architecture, Environmental Graphic Design, Interior Design, Lighting Design, Workplace Consulting and more.
- In the past decade, NBBJ has received more than 300 awards from leading global, national and regional award programs across the business, real estate and design communities.
- We work with 5 of the top global high-tech companies, 14 of the U.S. News and World Report Top Hospitals, and 4 of the top 10 highest-ranked learning institutions.
- Our clients include institutional leaders such as Cambridge University, Google, Samsung, Cleveland Clinic, Tencent, and Stanford University.
We are a collective of thinkers, makers and dreamers working to create positive impact through design. But we’re more than that—we’re also a firm made up of individuals, each with unique talents, ideas and contributions. This blend of togetherness and individuality makes us who we are. It’s also the basis for our values, which guide how we show up for each other and our clients:
- Stand for Optimism: We are united behind a calling to design a better future for our clients, society, and planet.
- Lead with Curiosity: We never stop asking “what if?” and “why?”
- Commit to Sustainability: We wield extraordinary power—and have an obligation—to initiate environmental change.
- Design for All: We have a responsibility—through our process and work—to design with and for all.
- Own the Outcome: We are entrepreneurs of our destiny, focused on the success of each other and our clients.
- Grow our Legacy: We are part of a story bigger than ourselves.
NBBJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F Disabled and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
NBBJ does not accept unsolicited resumes or similar submissions from third party recruiters or employment agencies. Any unsolicited materials received by NBBJ from a source other than an individual candidate will be considered NBBJ property and NBBJ reserves the right to pursue and hire candidates referred to us without any financial obligation to the third party in question. If you are interested in becoming an approved NBBJ external recruiter, please contact a member of the NBBJ Talent Acquisition Team.