About This Position
We are currently seeking a Design Technologist who will focus on design visualization and digital fabrication. The Design Technology (DT) Group's mission is to promote literacy, guide application, and research emerging design technologies. We inspire teams to embrace new technologies by promoting a culture of curiosity and a commitment to continuous improvement. We believe that design methodologies can be enhanced with embedded intelligence and automation, capitalizing on the potential of a data-enabled practice.
This position requires an individual who is passionate about innovation and mentoring others. This individual must be able to work in a team environment while working independently on special projects. We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth. The candidate will be encouraged to provide new ideas and share knowledge that will advance the firm’s mission and his/her professional career.
- Producing design visualizations including renderings, animations, and VR/AR experiences for the project teams and for client engagement utilizing various software such as Adobe Creative Suite, Enscape, and V-Ray.
- Preparing and optimizing models, textures, and materials in various 3D modeling platforms such as Revit, Rhino, Sketch-up, and 3DS Max.
- Guiding the implementation of digital fabrication with design teams and maintaining digital fabrication tools and software including 3D printers and laser cutters.
- Bachelor of Architecture or Master of Architecture degree.
- Advanced understanding of design technology and its application in a professional setting.
- Strong design and communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects with evolving constraints.
A digital portfolio must be submitted with the application for consideration.*
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.