SMMA has an exciting opportunity for a mid-level Landscape Architect to join our firm. SMMA is an award-winning integrated design practice with offices near Harvard Square in Cambridge, MA and The Foundry in Providence, RI. Our integrated practice unites a dynamic mix of architects, interior designers, landscape architects, site and building systems engineers, design technologists, researchers, and planners all driven to provide responsible, well-crafted, venturesome, and beautiful design solutions to clients. We strive to promote a fast-paced, team-oriented, fun working and learning environment that fosters intellectual and creative growth.
The Site Design team is seeking a talented, creative, and enthusiastic Landscape Architect with 5 to 8 years’ experience to join our growing Site Design team. This position will work directly with other landscape architects and civil engineers throughout all phases of a project. Given SMMA’s integrated composition, the role affords a great opportunity to coordinate and work closely with staff across numerous areas of design expertise and provides exposure to a variety of project and client types.
The successful candidate will be active throughout each projects’ full life cycle — from conceptual design through final construction documents as well as during the construction administration process. The candidate will be encouraged to provide new ideas and share knowledge that will advance the firm’s mission and their professional career.
- Communicating and keeping other project team members engaged while coordinating your scope of work with others
- Assisting in developing site designs and details for a variety of land development and building projects that reinforce the overall design intent while balancing cost, constructability constraints, and client expectations
- Taking an active role in all project phases, from schematic design through construction administration
- Working independently, as well as part of project teams, and partnering with interdisciplinary knowledge experts to pursue innovative design opportunities and apply best practices
- Bachelor’s degree in Landscape Architecture from an accredited institution
- 5-8 years’ relevant experience
- Registration as a Landscape Architect in Massachusetts, or the immediate ability to apply for reciprocity preferred
- Experience with a variety of digital tools to serve the design process, including the Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUp, Bluebeam, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and the Microsoft Office Suite
- High level of interest in the conceptual, technical, and production aspects of the site design process
- Enjoy creative problem-identifying and problem-solving in a rapidly changing environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexible, proactive and optimistic approach
Digital portfolio must be submitted with the application for consideration.
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
Please note: SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.