Free and open to the publlic.
1.5 LU/HSW credits are available.
Join Emmanuel Andrade AIA for a presentation on critical but often misunderstood issues in accessibility compliance for public projects, newly updated for 2020. During this 60-minute session, Emmanuel will:
- Clarify some of the most common myths about accessibility compliance
- Discuss elements that are often overlooked during design and construction
- Bring forward code requirements that are "hidden" in 521 CMR, including the definition of building
- Compare parallel requirements of 521 CMR and the ADA to help understand which are more stringent, and therefore binding
- Provide tips on how to apply for a successful variance with the MAAB
Emmanuel Andrade is a registered architect at the Office of Planning within the Division of Capital Asset Management and Maintenance (DCAMM). At DCAMM, he's an advisor for the Statewide Accessibility Initiative, Massachusetts’ model initiative on accessibility and universal design. The Statewide Accessibility Initiative assists state agencies in addressing their accessibility compliance through master plans, design and construction, deferred maintenance spending, and the procurement of leased properties.