Explore the Online Exhibition
Browse through all the fantastic entries in this year's Gingerbread Exhibition!View now
We are thrilled to announce the 12th annual Gingerbread Design Competition & Exhibition! This year's competition theme is Transit: Boston on the Move. This theme invites participants to come up with their most innovative explorations of Boston’s many forms of transit. We encourage teams to think beyond just the T—to buses, bikes, ferries, transit infrastructure, and more!
This exhibition will be on display in-person in the Atlantic Wharf lobby at 290 Congress Street from early to mid-December this year.
The BSA Gingerbread Design Competition & Exhibition is a fun and tasty way to highlight great works of edible architecture while spreading holiday cheer. This exhibition raises funds for BSA while challenging designers to explore a sweet and festive medium!
There will be multiple ways to view this year’s Gingerbread Design Competition. We will display all gingerbread models at BSA Space and will showcase them in an online exhibition. In addition to that, all gingerbread submissions will be featured on the BSA’s social media platforms.
Who: Any individual, duo, or team can participate! This year’s BSA Gingerbread Design Competition will take place in-person ONLY which means that we will only accept entries which can be physically brought to BSA Space on Tuesday, December 5, 2023, between the hours of 8AM-6PM. Registration is now closed.
What: This year’s competition will feature only entries that can be brought to BSA Space to be displayed in person. Though the exhibition will be in-person, we will also make sure to feature each of the gingerbread creations via social media. This is both a juried competition and a fun way to raise funds for the BSA and its work. We invite the teams and individuals who submitted entries—along with the general public—to come to our space to celebrate in a festive way and winners will be announced at this event and online.
Where: We will display the physical gingerbread models at BSA Space and we will showcase all submissions in an online exhibition. All gingerbread submissions will be featured on the BSA’s social media platforms!
November 17, 2023 | Deadline to register to participate
December 5, 2023 | Deadline to bring gingerbread creation to BSA Space
December 7, 2023 | Exhibition opens at BSA Space and online, voting opens
December 14, 2023 | Reception at BSA Space (5:30-7PM), voting remains open for another week
December 21, 2023 | Exhibition closes, voting closes
December 22, 2023 | Deadline to pick up gingerbread
Registration is now closed. Thanks to everyone who registered!
Awards will be given for the following categories:
- Golden Whisk for most amount of money raised through donation-based voting
- Silver Spatula for most number of individual votes through donation-based voting
- Chocolate-covered Rolling Pin for judges' choice
- People's Choice Award for most number of votes on Facebook
All entries will be virtually judged by a panel of gingerbread experts who will bestow additional festive awards!
- To be eligible for the competition, you or a representative for your team must complete the registration form by Friday, November 17, 2023. Entries that are not registered will not be accepted into the competition.
- By registering for this year's competition, you are agreeing to bring your completed gingerbread creation to BSA Space on December 5, 2023 between the hours of 8AM-6PM.
- All visible elements on your gingerbread creation must be edible (with the exception of LED lights which are accepted and encouraged). During the exhibition set up, your creation will have to be moved by staff. Please do your best to ensure that your creation is as stable and as durable as possible.
- Voting will begin on December 7, 2023 when the exhibition opens. Everyone will be encouraged to vote, both with their dollars and their "likes."
- Please remember that this is a family friendly competition! The BSA reserves the right to not display any entry considered to be inappropriate.
For any additional questions you may have about this year's Gingerbread Design Competition & Exhibition, please email [email protected].
The Gingerbread Design Competition, a program of the BSA, was launched by the Community Design Resource Center (CDRC) in 2012.