Continuing Education (CE)
Licensed architects are required to complete continuing-education hours annually. One of the advantages to being an AIA member is your credits are tracked for you in your online transcript, making your life much easier in the event of an audit. Simply sign in at all events offering CE credit with your AIA number.
Contact the BSA with continuing education questions.
Looking for continuing education opportunities?
AIA credits are available through select BSA/AIA events. Check the list of Events for upcoming credit opportunities.CE Events
|License period||September - August||January - December|
|HSW (Health, Safety, Welfare) topics||12 hours||12 hours|
|Extra hours||Do not carry forward||Carry forward|
|Grace period||None||9 months|
|Credit tracking||Maintain your own CE records||Credits are tracked for you|
|Online transcript||No||Yes, view it here|
|CE events’ credits||Sign in and request a certificate of attendance every time you attend a CE-qualifying event.||Sign in with your AIA number at all CE events to be sure credits are recorded.|
|Audits||Send your certificates of attendance from any BSA events as verification of completed continuing education hours to the state licensing board.||If you are audited, print and send your transcript to the state licensing board with a copy of your AIA membership card.|
Architects who are not AIA members must meet state continuing education credit requirements. AIA architects must meet AIA/CES requirements. If these credits are completed between September and August, members can fulfill MA requirements as well.
Additional resources for the MA state requirements
- For details about the State of Massachusetts requirements for HSW continuing education hours visit the regulation page at Mass.gov.
- Learn more about the Board of Registration of architects from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts website.
Additional resources for the AIA requirements
- Find AIA answers to questions concerning CE.
- Access the State Licensing MCE Requirements Map.
- Learn about the background on the AIA continuing education system.
Continuing education resources
- View your AIA CE transcript
- Learn about self-reporting and online learning
- Find all AIA/CES providers
- CE resources from AIA National
- Contact the MA Division of Professional Licensure
Offering CE through the BSA/AIA
BSA Allied members can submit their Greater Boston area "in-person" programs for AIA/CE credit through the BSA as part of their membership.
- For continuing education course requirements and submission guidelines, click here.
- If you are already a member, click here for the CE submission form.
- If you want to know more about becoming a BSA Allied member you can find more information about the benefits, and download an application form here.
Non-Member AIA/CE Providers
- If you are already an AIA/CES provider and would like BSA to promote your event, please see our advertising opportunities.
- To view the CE provider services available via AIA national, visit the AIA’s website.
- The BSA hosts an annual Architecture/Design College Fair in the Fall.
- AIA National offers ArchCareers.org.