Companies and institutions in the 213-acre Longwood Medical and Academic Area (LMA) employ more than 46,000 researchers, educators, clinicians, and administrators (31 percent of whom are Boston residents) and educate almost 22,000 students. Every day, 110,800 people come to this dense city-within-a-city, which has the longest average commutes of any community in Massachusetts.
Annually, the LMA accounts for:
- state income tax revenue of $133.7 million on a $2.5 billion payroll
- 4 million visitors on average
- 2.6 million inpatients and outpatients
- $22 million in total spending on T passes
- 2.4% growth in T passes sold